OKC Farmers Public Market

OKC Farmers Public Market
311 S Klein Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73108
(405) 885-7147
 
For years there had been a need for a central public market for local farmers to sell their produce. Farmers would bring their wares into Oklahoma City and sell them on the streets, creating congestion and traffic problems. The Market came about as a result of this long standing conflict between local farmers and the downtown business community. The Oklahoma City Farmers Public Market first opened its doors on June 16, 1928 on the site of the Delmar Gardens Amusement Park. John J. Harden built the two-story, 40,000 square foot structure at a cost of $500,000. The downstairs was mainly used by farmers who sold fresh produce. Upstairs there were concerts, dances, boxing matches and roller-skating.

Hank Williams Sr., Count Bassie, and Bob Wills have all played in the Auditorium. In its heyday, the building also housed a grocery store, meat market, candy store, bakery, café, and drug store.

The main building was placed on the national register of historic places in 1982. It is the second largest building in Oklahoma City on the national register.

The "fan or mall" is a twenty thousand square foot building that once wrapped around three sides of the main structure. It was divided into 9 x 18 foot stalls in order for farmers to pull their trucks or wagons in to set up shop for the day. Today this buildingis filled with an eclectic mix of shops offering anything from collectables to fresh cut flowers.

After years of neglect, Burt and Jody McAnally purchased the six-acre property in July of 2002 from John E. Harden, grandson of the original owner. Their vision is to restore the "Market " to its former glory.
 
Upcoming Events
Fri Jun 16, 2017
Venue Details

OKC Farmers Public Market

311 S Klein Ave
Oklahoma City, OK
(405) 885-7147
Website Address
 
 
Email To Friend